Hello Grade 4 Families,
We have 2 new pets in the classroom, thanks to Alvin and his family. He brought in 2 baby lobsters, which he named "Lightning Bolt" and "Slash." The kids enjoy looking at our pets throughout the day, and they have been a great addition to the Grade Four family.
In Social Studies, we had a lively discussion about stereotypes and racism this past week. Thank you for allowing your children to find stereotypes on TV. (Some children thanked me for giving them homework, while some exclaimed, "This is the best homework ever!" Their enthusiasm brings me so much joy! Haha) During class, Martin Luther King's name was mentioned during our discussion, and so the children wanted to learn more about him. Thus, we continued our learning about him and this topic in our Language Arts class. This is the beauty of the new curriculum... being able to integrate different subjects together, and allowing the kids to steer their learning towards topics that interests them.
In Science, we are continuing to learn about animals in their environment. Your child is currently researching about a BC animal of their choice. (You can ask your child what he/she has chosen). They are doing the research in class with the use of computers. During the research, they have to describe their animal, find 3 structural adaptations, 3 behavioural adaptations and find interesting facts about the animal. Once they write their paragraphs in class, you can assist them at home by proofreading and editing their paragraphs.
Here are the reminders for the week:
- School picture orders are due
- Hot lunch for those who ordered
- Return library books
- Math assignment (Lesson 4) is due
- Carmina's letter is due
- C-Skills p. 25-30 due
- Intermediate Choir at lunch from 12:15-12:45pm
- Dismissal at 2pm
- Created by Kids will be sent home today for ordering
- regular day
- study for Math test tomorrow
- Walkathon assembly
- Math test (Lessons 4 and 5)
Looking ahead: Halloween - Monday, Oct. 31
- students will be allowed to wear costumes to school or black and orange clothes
- read Mrs. Moorehead's letter this coming Thursday regarding appropriate costumes for school
- treats for the class may be brought in on this day...please remember to send NUT FREE treats...Thanks!
- IRP for October due today
Have a good week!