Welcome to Kindergarten at St. Paul's School!
We hope you are as excited as we are about starting the school year! We are looking forward to meeting all of you and your children, and watching them learn and grow in their first year of school. This year we are pleased to have the opportunity to explore the new BC Curriculum with you and your children. Our primary goal is to promote growth and development in the spiritual, intellectual, physical, artistic, and social/emotional areas of learning. The purpose of this blog is to keep you informed about what is happeneing in our classroom and around the school. It was wonderful to meet all of your children and we look forward to the rest of the year!
The Archdiocesean theme of the year is "Care for Our Common Home". We will look at caring for our many "homes" - family home, classroom home, school, the community of Richmond, country of Canada and the Earth. As God intended, we care for the place, as well as the people and creatures who share it.
A few things to note:
1) GRADUAL ENTRY
Gradual Entry helps to aid the children with their transition into Kindergarten. The schedule and groupings were sent out in July, please let me know if you have any questions about your child’s schedule or grouping.
- Monday, September 5th, 2016
Labour Day - No School
- Tuesday, September 6th, 2016
GROUP A 8:45-9:45
GROUP B 10:00-11:00 (dismissal for the whole school is at 12:00)
- Wednesday, September 7th, 2016
GROUP A 8:45-12
- Thursday, September 8th, 2016
GROUP A 8:45-12
GROUP B 12:45-3
- Friday, September 9th, 2016
GROUP A 8:45-12
GROUP B 12:45-3
2) FRIENDLY REMINDERS:
1) SNACK- please send a nutritious snack (such as fruit or vegetables) as well a drink (such as water in a reusable container). Please ensure that your child can open any container you send and that everything is labeled.
2) PICK UP AND DROP OFF- is always at the ramp leading to the Kindergarten door. This is for the safety of the Kindergarten children. Also, please remember to cross at the crosswalk.
3) LABEL- please label everything you send to school with your child, especially their sweater. All children in the school have the same 2 styles of sweater. Please let us know if your child has misplaced his/her sweater and we will check the classroom. Please do not purchase another sweater until you have checked the lost and found and we have done a check with your child’s classmates.
4) ABSENTEE NOTES- if your child is sick or absent, please phone the school office by 9:00 that day, and send a note explaining the reason for the absence when your child returns to school. Please be sure to send a written and signed note, as an e-mail will not be sufficient. We require this to ensure the children are all accounted for as well as for auditing. Also, please advise the Principal ahead of time if you have planning an extended family vacation during the school year.
5) BLOG- please check the kindergarten blog and school webpage often for important information and updates.
6) SUPPLIES- All school supplies have arrived and are now stored in the kinder classroom. All supplies will be shared by the class, and any excess supplies will be sent home at the end of the year. Edupac bags will be sent home for your child's beach towel (for quiet time).
7) GYM BAG- please label and decorate your child’s gym bag. Please return to school by Friday, September 16th.
8) GYM SHOES- unless your child is able to tie their own laces, please ensure that your child’s gym shoes have a Velcro closure. Group A & B will need their gym shoes by Monday, September 12th
9) MONEY- When sending money to school, please place it in an envelope with your child’s name, grade, and event written clearly on the front.
10) ALLERGIES- please do not include seafood, peanuts, or any kind of nut as we do have children with severe allergies at our school
3) ITEMS NEEDED FOR SEPTEMBER
1) Proper Backpack - No "rolly" backpacks, please!
2) Homework Folder (to transport communication & home reading folders)
3) Lunch bag
4) Water bottle
5) Rain Boots (to stay at school)
6) Runners (to stay at school)
7) Gym Bag (to stay at school)
8) Extra change of clothes (to stay at school)
Additional Items Needed:
9) 16" x 20" white canvas (found at Dollarama or Micheals)
10) 4" x 6" family photo in a picture frame (for our community building wall)
11) Headphones in a labelled, freezer ziplock bag (for the listening center)
12) Beach Towel in Edupac reusable bag (for quiet time)
13) A picture of your child (for the school birthday board)
Samples of all the items will be available in the Kindergarten classroom. Please have all items at school by Friday, September 16th.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please e-mail us at email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org (please remember to email both of us!)
We feel so blessed to be a part of the St. Paul’s community, and we look forward to the wonderful year ahead!
Miss Costales & Miss Guevara