WEEK OF FEBRUARY 27 - MARCH 3
Hi Kindergarten Families,
Kindergarten had a wonderful week last week. On Wednesday, we celebrated Pink Day for "Anti-Bullying." The children came to school dress in link an we read the book "Recess Queen" by Alexis O'Neill. Instead of focusing on "bullying," Kindergarten focused on how we can be a good recess friend. The children brainstormed wonderful ways including playing nicely with friends, helping clean up in the classroom, asking new friends to play, keeping hands to themselves, using nice words with our friend, among many others. On Thursday, the children enjoyed a fieldtrip to the Richmond Library and Richmond Museum. We had a tour around the library, and we even got to use the new machine to check a library back in! At the Museum, we learned about many different cultures winter celebrations! This went really nicely with our social studies unit on family traditions and celebrations. A special thank you to all parents and grandparents that made this fieldtrip possible by driving!
This week we begin the wonderful liturgical season of Lent. Starting Wednesday, and continuing for 40 days, the children prepare themselves in class for Lent by learning about Prayer, Fasting, and Almsgiving. During Lent we work towards becoming more like Jesus in our actions and our words. Children are encouraged to attending Morning Lenten Masses at 8:15 am beginning on Thursday, March 2nd and continuing throughout the season of Lent. During Lent there will be no Friday morning assemblies.
This week at a glance:
Student of the week: Marko
Show & Tell Theme: My favourite book
Letter of the week: B
Number of the week: 18
Show & Tell: Rachel
- Hot Lunch
- PE with Mr. Kelly
- French with Mme. Caprilli
- Library with Miss Costales & Miss Guevara
Show & Tell: Samantha
- P.E. with Mr. Kelly
Show & Tell: Kristopher
- Ash Wednesday
- School Mass @ 11:00 am. All are welcome and encouraged to join!
Show & Tell: Kimberley
- First morning Lenten Mass @ 8:15 am
- Music with Mr. Kelly
Show & Tell: Trisha
- Morning Lenten mass @ 8:15 am
- Miss Costales away in Whistler with the Grade 7 class
- Lenten morning masses begin on Thursday, March 2nd @ 8:15 am
- We gather as a school community to prepare our hearts and our minds for the Lenten season leading to Easter
- If your child is able to join us, they may sit at the front of the church with the rest of the students attending mass (they do not sit by grade, but rather all students sit together)
- Children are encouraged to make as many Lenten morning masses as possible.
- As a family, you are welcome to join us on our 40-day Lenten Journey
- The Lenten Journey is tracked by a Lenten Road Map that will be sent home with the children on Wednesday
- We invite you to post the map somewhere visible at home and colour one square everyday of Lent
- This is a great visual that will help the children understand the meaning and symbols of the Lenten season
- Home reading: 10 to 15 minutes (please use "My Reading" book, "Readwell" book, and books from home)
- Fun Friends SEL Program: Session #13
- IXL: Choose an activity from any of the "Numbers and Counting" A.1 to C.20 section
- Library Books- due every Monday
- Birthday Invitation- an invitation for Bianca's 6th birthday has been placed in every child's homework folder. Please be sure to check inside your child's homework folder.
- Class E-mail- Please reply to our e-mail regarding sharing parent e-mail addresses. We have had many inquires about the class list and need all parents permission to forward this information on. Thank you.
Parking Lot Update:
- Kindergarten is not yet affected by these changes, as parents may continue to use the front school parking lot
- Please review Mrs. Moorehead's e-mail regarding parking lot closures and changes to traffic for the rest of the school
- The parking situation will be changing, so please continue to look for updates.
- Wednesday, March 1st- Ash Wednesday - School Mass
- Thursday, March 2nd- First morning Lenten Mass @ 8:15 am
- Friday, March 3rd- Miss Costales away in Whistler with the Grade 7s
- Monday, March 6th- Fukuruko Hot Lunch
- Thursday, March 9th- Communication Students Learning Reports sent home
- Friday, March 10th- Last day of School before Spring Break
- Monday, March 13th - Friday, March 24th- Spring Break
- Monday, March 27th- First Day Back after Spring Break
- Sunday, April 9th- Holy Week begins
Please let us know if you have an questions, comments or concerns!
Miss Costales & Miss Guevara
email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org